Re: [opensuse] problem accessing machines on local network
On Fri, Dec 09, 2011 at 08:47:17AM +0100, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:

I am running openSUSE 12.1 on three PCs on local network, but when I
try to access machines on local network using the 'connect to
server' option of Nautilus, I can't access local machines. It was a
breeze on Ubuntu. Plaase suggest.

I don't know this Nautilus connect to server feature. If this is via
ssh - I hope it is - then you should check:

a) Does the firewall block ssh connects?

Define a trusted network in /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 You might have
to read this file a bit longer. It's in general very, very
self-explanatory.

b) Is the ssh service enabled and started. It's disabled and therefore
not started by default. This is a more than reasonable default
approach. This is no security by obscurity. Each disabled service
can't be broken, abused by script kids and other evil people.

All this can be done vis YaST or if you're more advanced even by editing
the configuration files.

If this is not about ssh you have to translate how Nautilus tries to
access the network resources. This how is about the technical level.

Thanks.

Lars
--
Lars Müller [ˈlaː(r)z ˈmʏlɐ]