Re: [opensuse] Telephone tethering, Dynamic DNS and general fun
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2011 09:00:54 +0100
Per Jessen wrote:

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Thu, 2011-12-08 at 17:16 +0100, C wrote:
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 16:32, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
wrote:
I think the basic connection will be from a telephone that
supports tethering. We expect that to be supplied by the local
user. It would be connected to the USB port of the openSUSE
computer.

I do something like this all the time while traveling. You don't
need to use USB cables... it's easier than that.

Not a laptop. They are rack mounted computers. They have USB so that
it perhaps easiest. Unless different phones are different. Then maybe
a USB wireless dongle that we supply would make things easier.

Without knowing your environment, that sounds to me like the option
most likely to succeed. When the operator plugs in the USB modem,
have your system auto-dial to a preset number and voila!

Actually:

... have your system auto-dial and voila! Then acquire the IP-address by
automatically sending an email or visiting a dedicated website or some
such. Depends on how automatic you need this stuff to work - if you're
trying to assist a local engineer, he might be able to just tell you
what the IP is :-)

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.8°C)