Re: [opensuse] I want to set up my spare tower to serve as a web server for my local network.
  • From: Arun Khan <knura9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 13:12:50 +0530
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 2:37 AM, Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I want to use it as a sandbox to play with web technologies. But mainly I'd
like to be able to set it up to serve a small site, like a splash page for the
home network. Like, if the roomie comes home and connects, he'll be redirected
to the local site first.

You may be able to eat your cake and have it too with virtualization
Virtual Box, KVM [1].

In one VM you can play with your web technologies.

In another you can create your proxy server and have your captive
portal etc. Suggest two physical NICs for the second VM. In the 2nd
VM, you can install ipfire, zeroshell, pfsense or any other
"appliance" distro that provides "gateway" features.

[1] Need hardware virtualization in system BIOS and CPU.

HTH
-- Arun Khan