Re: [opensuse] why not openSUSE used grub 2?
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Linux Tyro <opensuse.bkn1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:40 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Even today, I believe there are many SUSE developers that are paid to
produce work.  If that work makes sense in openSUSE, then they
"voluntarily" add it to the distro.

Thus a lot of the big projects are done for SUSE but get added to
openSUSE for limited volunteer effort.

I think grub2 will be one of those major efforts.   It has lots of
complexity, etc. and will likely cause pain when it is first brought
into openSUSE.  But having it here may help a SLES developer test out
the code base for incorporation into SLES.

So I think openSUSE will get grub2 when the effort starts to get SLES
to support it.

But unlike Fedora, openSUSE is not by design a R&D release.  Fedora
gets features early with the full knowledge they will cause big
issues.  Then Redhat tries to resolve them over time.  systemd is an
example of that.  Fedora has had it for awhile and has pushed fixes
back to upstream, but there are still so many issues lots of opensuse
12.1 users have had to revert to sysvinit.  Especially those that use
services not typical of a standard desktop.

Another great thing about opensuse is that with OBS now a core
component of the development process, anyone can develop and publish
compatible packages.  And with just a little more effort they can
often be pushed into the devel projects and from there into factory.

I've pushed a few apps to factory over the summer.  I got no political
push back like "that's not the direction we're trying to go in."
Instead if the package looks good technically it gets accepted.  So
what often ends up in opensuse is the packages the collection of
volunteers is interested in, not what a top down management style
might want to see in it.

Greg

Greg your reply is highly matured and authentic. Nice! Can you also
tell me something in the other thread of 'A request to
Attachmate/Novell'..(there itself)...?

Already did