Re: [opensuse] why not openSUSE used grub 2?
Linux Tyro said the following on 12/08/2011 06:32 AM:
Good question and I could have started it if I were knowing Linux like
you people but unfortunately I don't know Linux but at least you all
should do that!

I think you are so missing the point.

Grub2 isn't about Linux.

If you take a look at, for example, the development work being done for
PXE booting, you'll see that booting can be used to boot anything your
sweet heart desires, all versions of Windows Linux and many other
things, not all of them operating systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preboot_Execution_Environment

The remote host that a PXE device boots from need not be Linux, UNIX or
Windows, nor the files it draws upon.

The advantage PXE APIs have is that they don't have to worry about disk
layout :-)

If you look at LILO or either version of GRUB you'll see that they
concern themselves with things like disk layout and with the low level
machine architecture, the memory management hardware and virtual memory
mapping. Some, but not all, kernel developers _might_ have to deal with
_some_ of this, but for the most part even that esoteric breed don't
have to face this. Application programmers, be they C++, LAMP,
networking, all don't have to deal with these HARDWARE issues.

So "programmers" in general are not going to be capable of dealing with
GRUB. This is no insult to them.

People like Per, myself and many others are experienced with many areas
of Linux, but this aspect of _HARDWARE_ is a different matter. And the
"learning curve" to come to deal with it is not so much a "curve" as a
"Big Step".

--
The line, often adopted by strong men in controversy, of justifying the
means by the end.