Re: [opensuse] perl module install question
David Haller wrote:
Hello,

On Wed, 07 Dec 2011, Dave Howorth wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:
I think the real issue is this line from the perl specfile:

Provides: perl-IO-Zlib perl-IO-Compress-Base perl-IO-Compress-Zlib
Obsoletes: perl-IO-Zlib perl-IO-Compress-Base perl-IO-Compress-Zlib
[..]
I believe *you are in a pit. Please stop digging it deeper!*

Stop digging yourself ;)

IO::Zlib and IO::Compress::Base are core modules since Perl 5.10.0.

CPAN disagrees.

Hmm, well CPAN is famously unreliable! :)

I already provided the link http://perldoc.perl.org/index-modules-I.html
that says it is part of core. I already said that YaST says it is part
of core and here is command-line output from 11.2:

# corelist IO::Compress::Base
IO::Compress::Base was first released with perl 5.009004
# corelist IO::Zlib
IO::Zlib was first released with perl 5.009003

So I have three sources that say it is core and you have something that
says there is a module on CPAN. If you're still doubtful, the changelog
for the incorporation of those modules into the core are at:

http://perldoc.perl.org/perl593delta.html#New-Core-Modules

or on your own machine:

# perldoc perl593delta

and here's the full list of modules in the current perl (you can go find
the equivalent for previous releases)

http://perldoc.perl.org/perlmodlib.html

On any given machine

# perldoc perlmodlib

That command shows a file that lists all modules that were core for the
system perl that is installed.

If they were core-modules, they'd have the perl-tarball as CPAN_FILE,

I thought that too, but apparently it ain't so.

That openSUSE packages those in the perl-RPM is completely irrelevant,
they are maintained as seperate modules by seperate people outside of
perl-core. IMO, the perl.spec needs versioned

I absolutely agree that the complexities of the Perl packaging mechanism
are completely separate from the complexities of the RPM packaging
system and the complex decisions of the opensuse packagers.

Again, I restate my opinion that trying to apply theories as to what
ought to be the case is an unreliable way to determine what is
needed/desirable to package a Perl application. (unless you are already
a Perl Pope). An empirical test, backed by cross-checking the documents,
is a safer approach IMHO.