Re: [opensuse] Kde network manager plasmoid pain still hurts
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 08:34:59 +0100
On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 18:10 -0500, Mark Misulich wrote:
Hi,
I installed opensuse 12.1 on my Toshiba U505-S2950 yesterday with the
default KDE 4.7.2 in use. I used it yesterday and today and have been
thinking it is a great new version, EXCEPT for the kde
NetworkManager-plasmoid when I try to connect to wlan.

I looked through the mailing list archive, and found one thread called
"kde network manager plasmoid pain" that parallels my issues. I have to
put in the root password sometimes, and the wpa password always after
booting. Besides that, it doesn't always see my wireless network when I
am in the other room, but it always sees my neighbor's network somewhere
in another county. I can't always connect when it does finally agree
that my network really only lives one room away.

Me too. I see so many other access points. But the one I am using (also
in the next room) works for a bit, then just goes away. When that
happens, it will not be in the list for a while. However, it seems that
if I click on Manage connections and in the wireless part select it, a
connection happens. Of course, it asks for the kwallet password again. I
thought the idea with the kwallet was once I told a program about it, it
can access the wallet as long as it runs. So I guess the program is
dying and restarting. Which is why the connection goes away.

I see that Will Stephenson wrote an answer that effectively answered the
archived thread, and I paraphrase when I say it read "the check is in
the mail, and fixes just came out."

I saw that too. My system is also up-to-date. But the problem remains.

FTIW, this works on 11.4, which makes me think the local network setup
is not the root cause.

In my case I am all updated, but the fixes haven't worked. So I gave up
on NetworkManager and went to ifup. But I am writing to see if someone
could respond with current good news on fixes for networkmanager, or
instructions on how to get it working right.

Mark

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST