Re: [opensuse] nvidia on 32-bit openSUSE 12.1 [CRUMMY WORKAROUND]
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 08:28:23 +0100
On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 14:05 -0800, Roger Luedecke wrote:
On Wednesday, December 07, 2011 05:30:18 PM Cristian Rodríguez wrote:
On 07/12/11 17:23, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
Doesn't the nvidia proprietary driver use KMS?

No, it doesnt and likely wont, KMS kernel symbols were GPL only
last time I checked.
I have never needed to set KMS on any maching running nVidia.

Surely having KMS enabled does not allow the kernel module loader to
ignore the settings in /etc/modprobe.d/*. That would be madness. Of
course, the modprobe.conf man page is rather oblique on what
blacklisting really does:

"the blacklist keyword indicates that all of that
particular module's internal aliases are to be ignored."

Not exactly the same as saying it will never be loaded...

As to which file the 'blacklist nouveau' directive goes in
('nvidia.conf', as the nvidia RPM sets up and as I nave it, or
'50-blacklist.conf' as is mentioned elsewhere) it should make no
difference (if the modprobe.conf man page tells the whole story), as
long as the name ends in .conf. All files in /etc/modprobe.d are equal.
I see no other references to 'nouveau' in these files that might cause a
conflict.

So, the mystery remains.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer