[opensuse] Kde network manager plasmoid pain still hurts
  • From: Mark Misulich <munguanaweza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 18:10:49 -0500
Hi,
I installed opensuse 12.1 on my Toshiba U505-S2950 yesterday with the
default KDE 4.7.2 in use. I used it yesterday and today and have been
thinking it is a great new version, EXCEPT for the kde
NetworkManager-plasmoid when I try to connect to wlan.

I looked through the mailing list archive, and found one thread called
"kde network manager plasmoid pain" that parallels my issues. I have to
put in the root password sometimes, and the wpa password always after
booting. Besides that, it doesn't always see my wireless network when I
am in the other room, but it always sees my neighbor's network somewhere
in another county. I can't always connect when it does finally agree
that my network really only lives one room away.

I see that Will Stephenson wrote an answer that effectively answered the
archived thread, and I paraphrase when I say it read "the check is in
the mail, and fixes just came out."

In my case I am all updated, but the fixes haven't worked. So I gave up
on NetworkManager and went to ifup. But I am writing to see if someone
could respond with current good news on fixes for networkmanager, or
instructions on how to get it working right.

Mark