Re: [opensuse] I want to set up my spare tower to serve as a web server for my local network.
On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 04:01:02 +0530, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Otherwise, you would need to have your server act as a firewall. You
would have iptunnels redirect all port 80 traffic (as an example) to
your local machine. There you would need some authentication logic
(or just a box to click on). Once authenticated, you would
reconfigure iptunnels to pass the traffic straight out.

that should be possible, but i wouldn't like the scenario. the webserver, in order to change iptables configuration, would have to act as root. maybe acceptable in a private setup, but simple mistakes could make a big mess. and better don't run an open wifi on that, of course.

--
phani.