Re: [opensuse] I want to set up my spare tower to serve as a web server for my local network.
On Thu, 08 Dec 2011 03:24:46 +0530, Roger Luedecke <roger.luedecke@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wednesday, December 07, 2011 04:31:04 PM Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 4:22 PM, John Andersen <jsamyth@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 12/7/2011 1:07 PM, Roger Luedecke wrote:
>> I want to use it as a sandbox to play with web technologies. But
>> mainly I'd like to be able to set it up to serve a small site, like a
>> splash page for the home network. Like, if the roomie comes home and
>> connects, he'll be redirected to the local site first.
>
> Your first goal (sandbox to play with web tech) seems like something you
> should embark upon separately.
>
> Your second goal, of hijacking web requests and directing them to your
> own server seems ill advised.

Every hotel I've been in recently does it. Why not Roger?

ie. When you first try to use the web, most hotel's seem to have a
solution that causes their page to come up. Once you register as an
approved user, they open it up to the web.

ie. Roger could just have a Welcome page that asks the user to click
on something to allow them access to the world!

My issue is it sounds a little advanced for a early experiment. ie.
Roger would have to have a web-page that controlled a iptables setup
or something.

Greg
Maybe it is too advanced indeed. I had a roommate once who had it set up that
way with his Macs. Basically, I would just like to have it so that it can
bring up a page with say a calendar, notes, task list... that sort of thing.

it's a while ago that i used squid, but i seem to remember you could do things like that, with a set up that requires authorization. if you don't want the auth. part, you can probably leave the password blank.

--
phani.