[opensuse] 12.1 GRUB Loading Hangs
  • From: "Stephen P Molnar" <s.molnar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 16:37:05 -0500
I have a 64bit AMD CPU with 3MB Ram and 4 HD's and have been running
openSUSE11.2 on a the system which boots into either openSUSE 10.3 or 11.2.

I have just done a new installation of 12.1 from the DVD to the 4th HD on
the system with sdd1 as / and hdd2 as home. In fact I had to install the
system twice as the first time I didn't use the auto configuration and for a
reason unknown t me the boot hung a rebooting.

The second time I used the automatic configuration and received neither
warning nor error messages during the installation and the system rebooted
at the appropriate dime during the installation. I was even able to change
the user to root after the installation was complete. However, when I
rebooted the system from the root directory the boot process showed:

GRUB Loading stage 1.5, but hung on
GRUB Loading, please wait . . .

Oh yes, I told the installer to put the boot loader in /, not the MBR.

I was able to reboot into openSUSE 10.3 by mounting the 11.2 DVD and running
the installation process to the repair page. I Can mount the 12.1 DVD on
the system

While I was able to boot into 12.1 it looked as if it was running well.

Any assistance will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D. Life is a
fuzzy set
Foundation for Chemistry Stochastic