Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 12:17:40 +0100
On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 03:24 -0600, Duaine Hechler wrote:
On 12/07/2011 01:59 AM, LinuxIsOne wrote:
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Roger Oberholtzer<roger@xxxxxx> wrote:

In our company, they are doing all this stuff with sharing documents and
such. Sharepoint, I think it is. Once you start the MS path with that,
you are pretty much committed. In a company of 8000 engineers, reworking
all that document integration is not likely to happen. Unless migration
is (1) automated, (2) bullet-proof, (3) feature comparable + extras to
warrant the move in the first place, (4) makes the bean counters happy.
Is there a supported Linux alternative to Sharepoint? I mean a complete
professional supported product. Not bits and pieces the average IT
department will never get working.

I know I was looking into eGroupware. http://www.egroupware.org/solutions

Perhaps some components in eGroupware are also in Sharepoint. But
Sharepoint deals with the contents of documents as well as simply manage
storage. Zope had a document management system with some of these
features. It supported many document types who's contents became part of
the system.

I am not a Sharepoint user. So all the bells and whistles are unknown to
me.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer

OPQ Systems / Ramböll RST