Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 11:13:12 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:

On Wed, 2011-12-07 at 17:38 +1000, John Bennett wrote:

Or they just can't get the support from any "other than Windows"
suppliers! Our company has just gone through the process, and were
SERIOUSLY looking at a Linux solution (in particular, Novell).But
after months of trying to get support, both off the web and locally
(Qld, Aus.) we gave up and have gone for another Microsoft solution.
Really frustrating!

In our company, they are doing all this stuff with sharing documents
and such. Sharepoint, I think it is. Once you start the MS path with
that, you are pretty much committed. In a company of 8000 engineers,
reworking all that document integration is not likely to happen.

Yet a larger company is much more likely to be able to carry out a
successful migration. Of course, a larger company will also have far
more inertia and many more well-placed MS people to stop any such ideas
well in advance. :-(

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.1°C)