Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: LinuxIsOne <reallife@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 02:59:11 -0500
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 2:51 AM, Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx> wrote:

In our company, they are doing all this stuff with sharing documents and
such. Sharepoint, I think it is. Once you start the MS path with that,
you are pretty much committed. In a company of 8000 engineers, reworking
all that document integration is not likely to happen. Unless migration
is (1) automated, (2) bullet-proof, (3) feature comparable + extras to
warrant the move in the first place, (4) makes the bean counters happy.

Is there a supported Linux alternative to Sharepoint? I mean a complete
professional supported product. Not bits and pieces the average IT
department will never get working.

I think MS upped the ante and don't see Office or simple file sharing as
the way to lock in customers. It is their infrastructure products such
as Sharepoint that does the trick these days. These are much more
difficult to duplicate in an open source solution as they are
undocumented services. If you thought SMB was tricky to reverse
engineer...

You mean to say that MS is better?