Re: Clinging to Microsoft (was Re: [opensuse] Why openSUSE is less popular than Ubuntu?)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Dec 2011 08:14:11 +0100
Duaine Hechler wrote:

On 12/06/2011 04:45 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Duaine Hechler wrote:

My take on the solution - is windows will never go away until all
"windows" software can run "natively" within Linux.

For most business users, Windows could go away tomorrow. I've been
running my business entirely on Linux for more than five years.

Then why don't they ??

I think because they don't really care. For the business it doesn't
really matter if they use one or the other. There are also advantages
to staying with Windows - no staff adaption/training period,
availability of IT staff/externals.

That being said, then, more than likely, Linux will end up being
susceptible to all the "nasties" of Windows.

_Or, the emulation software becomes the primary OS (just like IBM's)
There are far more MVS-only shops than there ever were
VM-installations.
True - however, VM was used to support multiple VSE machines (Cheaper
than moving and supporting MVS). One shop I was in, we had 5 copies of
VSE running which included one for production, one for test and 3 for
development - for different versions of VSE, CICS and Assembler vs
COBOL versions of the same production software.

In Europe, VSE died out before my time - I've never encountered a
running system.

Also, another strange fact, that VM was initially written to run VSE -
as developers were writing MVS (and its predecessors)

Plus, that was before IBM came up with LPARS (Logical Partitions) in
the hardware.

Yes, LPARs was used by a lot of shops that might otherwise have been
running VM. I think we first got LPAR on a 3090-600S around 89-90,
maybe a little earlier. Of course we had VM anyway, running in the
service processor - a 4381, IIRC? Anyway, we're straying way OT.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (8.3°C)