Re: [opensuse] zypper trick to maintain offline system?
  • From: Arun Khan <knura9@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2011 12:38:00 +0530
On Sun, Dec 4, 2011 at 4:36 AM, Haro de Grauw <me@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have several machines on a network running openSUSE 11.4. To spare
bandwidth, I have one machine that pulls in updates "first", and then saves
the downloaded RPMs in a folder shared over SAMBA for other machines to
access. So far so good.

Take a look at "createrepo," you can create your own repo on the
"master" system and export the entire directory structure via
NFS/HTTP/FTP and Samba as well. Give this repo a higher priority than
other repos on each of the other openSUSE system.

One machine is used (among other things) for secure data storage, so is
always kept offline and unplugged from the network. I do occasionally like
to update it, and/or install additional software.

This could be the ideal candidate for your "master" system. Why do
you keep it unplugged? You could use this system as your "local" repo
for the updates and other RPMs not on the DVD.

This is a pain, because
unless everything I need is on the openSUSE dvd I have to resolve
dependencies manually. Being rather paranoid I don't like the idea of just
quickly plugging it into the web.

What is your fear? Are your systems not behind a firewall?

I'm wondering if anyone else has a clever solution to this? I would imagine
that I could get zypper on the secure machine to list all packages
installed, then save that list to a plain text file, then somehow get zypper
on another machine to download RPMs for update and/or resolve dependencies,
based on that list; then I could transfer the RPMs to the secure machine and
install. Before I brush up my Perl with this, has anyone done anything
similar? Or is this already built into zypper somehow and am I missing it?

Consider createrepo, please see above.

HTH
-- Arun Khan