Re: [opensuse] How to partitioning in unallocated disk space
Felix Miata said the following on 12/03/2011 10:33 AM:

LVM is an extra layer that thwarts
the way I manage my many multiboot systems, that may or may not thwart a
beginner's ability to understand and cope with storage space management and
allocation.

I don't dispute that because of decisions you have made, the software
you chose to use, your assertion that LVM thwarts you.

However from my POV it enables me to overcome many of the problems and
defer decisions about sizing, lets me easily split a nearly full file
system and then 'shrink to fit', to better allocate disk resources and
to facilitate not only multi-boot capability and virtual machine creation.

As for beginners, the most common question I get asked when install for
other people is "how big should I make the disk partitions?"

With LVM I can answer "big enough and then some; if its too big we can
shrink later and if its too small we can grow it later".

Certainly the lvextend/resize_reiserfs is _way_ simper than your
creation/rsync process and avoids any hassle with renaming.

In particular, if the disk is fully allocated so there is no space to
use your method to create a new partition, shrinking one or two
oversized LVM managed partitions and reallocating the space to the needy
is possible.

LVM has the ability to do much more, to let users experiment with
RAID-like concepts, but much more useful is that it can use any space,
anywhere, to extend a file system.

One thing that makes Linux attractive to home users is that they don't
have to upgrade with each new release as they are pretty much required
to if they use Windows. Older hardware is still viable. LVM extends
this concept to disks. LVM doesn't care about what disk technology you
use: SSD. SATA, MFM; and it doesn't care how you mix and match the sized
of the drive.

Yes, you've made a set of decisions and so have I; mine let me take
advantage of LVM to do what I and my clients require. This is different
from your situation. If I have a client that doesn't want to use LVM,
that's fine; perhaps they want a large RAID array, perhaps they only
want to run from a LiveCD or LIveUSB, perhaps ...

Well Linux is flexible and capable.

But my experience with beginners is that they don't know enough to know
what they want and their uncertainty about committing to a fixed disk
partitioning is one thing that seems to bother them. You know and I
know and most people here know that it isn't really a hurdle; that an
error is easily overcome, and that with today's large capacity drive its
not like it was decades ago where an incorrect partitioning of a 20Meg
drive might mean you didn't have enough /tmp to compile some programs.
BTDT. But beginners need reassurance, as we've seen by questions asked
here. My point about LVM is that the effort of correcting mistakes and
drastically revising sizing is small, less than with your approach, and
can be carried out without reboot.

LVM has other benefits. One I greatly appreciate is the ability to take
snapshots since it simplifies backups. The "old" way of doing backups
meant a file system walk, and the file system - an in particular any
databases in it - could change as the walk was being done. The LVM
snapshot is a "mirror"-like mechanism that guarnetees consistency.

Your needs, they way you use your system is different from mine.
That doesn't invalidate either.

--
He who can, does. He who cannot, teaches.
George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950), Man and Superman (1903)