Re: [opensuse] How to partitioning in unallocated disk space
On Fri, 2 Dec 2011 01:46:44 -0500
LinuxIsOne <linuxisone@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello,

A computer has Ubuntu LTS installed in some of its memory, it is like:

Disk /dev/sda: 250.1 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x0001fe0c

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 1861 14940160 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 1861 2371 4101120 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/sda3 2371 4803 19530752 83 Linux

Out of the 250 GB hard disk, it is using like :

/dev/sda1 = 15 GB (/) [Primary partition]
/dev/sda2 = 4.2 GB (swap ) [Primary partition]
/dev/sda3 = 20 GB (/home) [Primary partition]

Unallocated space = 211 GB

So in extended I have to install openSUSE 12.1 (211 GB), so how should
I install it in extended and how do I partition it such that it comes
as an option to be booted from Ubuntu menu? Is it possible? (Ubuntu is
using Grub 2 while openSUSE is using Grub Legacy).

Thanks

Hi LinuxIsOne;
Having a separate /home partition as you have is good. It allows you to share
that partition between distros but it can cause problems if the distros have
different versions of programs and configuration files.

Make sure that you know the UID of the user account(s) so you can use it for
openSuSE user(s). Also, BACK UP everything before doing anything else!

OpenSuSE will run just fine in extended memory. I recommend using PartedMagic
(Google it) to partition the extended partition. You might also increase the
size of /home as 20 GB will fill up if you have many photos or music. OpenSuSE
in a full install from DVD with darn near everything installed only needs less
than 32 GB but allow 40-50 to be safe and for future program additions.

Sorry, I can't address the grub2 issue as I don't have it yet.

Tom

--
Tom Taylor - retired penguin
openSUSE 11.4 x86_64 openSUSE 12.1