Re: [opensuse] SUSE 12.1 - still "hdd killer bug"? Can't believe it.
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 14:59:02 -0500
On Sun, Nov 27, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Cristian Rodríguez
<crrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 27/11/11 19:03, Juan R. de Silva wrote:

Folks, what's wrong with me? :-)

You dont have  storage-fixup installed.

Sadly, storage-fixup was created and maintained by a suse engineer.
(now a former suse engineer).

At least per it's design it was meant to be always installed.
That is it used model number patterns to identify drives which have
buggy software and need to have hdparm issue a configuration override
to keep them from from powering down hundreds of times an hour.

The only conceivable downside is that it may have too broad of a model
number pattern and thus prevent drives from sleeping that actually
have good firmware.

I'm very surprised it is not part of the default install.

As far as I'm concerned it not being part of the default install is a
bug. I hope the opensuse maintainer for the package agrees and gets
the default install pattern changed to include it. (I don't know how
to do that, but hopefully working through bugzilla can get this taken
care of.)

Greg