[opensuse] SUSE 12.1 - still "hdd killer bug"? Can't believe it.
  • From: "Juan R. de Silva" <juan.r.d.silva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2011 22:03:11 +0000 (UTC)
I installed openSUSE 12.1 to give it a try on my Dell Latitude D820 with
WD 500G hdd on it. Luckily I checked it almost right away and to my
astonishment found that Load_Cycle_Count of drive gets 22 times increase
in 15 minutes.

The drive APM_level = 254, KDE Power Management settings are all set for
Performance.

I just can't believe it... This is several years back bug. And it was
fixed at least for a couple of years back on all major distributions.

I have currently installed on the same laptop: Ubuntu 11.10, Kubuntu
11.10, Xubuntu 11.10, Lubuntu 11.10, Fedora 16, SL 6.1, Majea 1, Debian
Squeeze, and openSUSE 12.1. Neither of mentioned, but openSUSE, is
suffering from this bug.

And yet interestingly enough I do not see any complaints of the sort
neither on this list, nor on forums.

Folks, what's wrong with me? :-)