[opensuse] Re: SSD in openSUSE.
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 10:47:14 +0100
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 7:19 PM, Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Greg Freemyer wrote:
On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 7:44 PM, Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx> wrote:
If you can afford it, don't use 15% of the disk. To get this free
space, use secure erase to reset the disk's firmware notion of what
you're using, and then don't allocate 15% of the disk during
partitioning.

Undocumented feature time. First secure erase is not always
implemented on SSDs, so don't trust it.

That's new for me, I haven't found this information via Google.

Can you give more information, maybe perhaps some links, about that
issue? I've always thought I can rely on secure erase via hdparm,
while respecting the frozen issue/state.

My knowledge is under NDA. I will just say that for a while a major
manufacturer returned success for secure erase commands, but if you
disassembled (desoldered) the chips and took a look, data was still
present.

Yes, that I've read. But that was not my use case. My use case is
"SSD firmware uses all sectors for wear levelling after secure
erase". I don't care if the data is still on it.

Does your NDA-knowledge include information about that use case?

Please note that my posted steps include one step to unlock an SSD,
so locked devices are covered.

Joachim