Re: [opensuse] should i use kmail or thunderbird?
  • From: Myrosia Dzikovska <myrosia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2011 00:28:58 +0000
One thing that hasn't shown up on the thread here: how much do you
care for the ease of use with your email address book? I am a
long-term KMail user. Recently, getting KMail to do a very simple
thing: set up an address book, add contacts from your messages, then
use those contacts in auto-complete - has been a real pain. You have
to read multiple pages of documentation, trying to wade through lots
of new concepts and terminology (what is Akonadi? Nepomuk? Resources?
Why do some address book formats work as expected and some don't? Why
doesn't it work on with AFS or NFS home directories?) Getting the most
basic functionality to work took me a couple of days, which was way
excessive from my point of view. There are other obscure interface
features as well, such as the need to set the default dictionary
separately for each identity, regardless of the global language
settings.

In comparison, Thunderbird "just works". Hopefully it has been fixed
in the newer KDEPim version in 12.1, and then this is obsolete. But
this is one reason I have been steering people away from KMail
(despite remaining the user myself), the learning curves for some
features just got too steep.

Myrosia