Re: [opensuse] Re: SSD in openSUSE.
  • From: Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:06:29 -0500
On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 5:02 AM, Graham Anderson
<graham.anderson@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tuesday 22 Nov 2011 20:42:10 Greg Freemyer wrote:
So if you really want to keep back 15%, I would create a fullsize
partition, format with mkfs, then delete the partition and create one
15% smaller, then format again with mkfs.

I thought the idea behind not using all the available space was to give the
SSD firmware some additional room for wear/write leveling? What's the benefit
of doing as you suggest and creating/formatting a fullsize partion before
resizing?

I was clarifying another post which assumed the drive had active data
on it. (ie. It wasn't a new SSD).

The first post proposed doing a secure erase (via hdparm I assume) to
inform the SSD that there was no valid data and it could effectively
trim/discard everything.

I said secure erase has been known to be buggy on some SSDs, so I
would use mkfs to trim/discard the full drive as step one. Then
create the partition at whatever size you really want.

Greg