[opensuse] Re: SSD in openSUSE.
  • From: Joachim Schrod <jschrod@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2011 01:44:13 +0100
Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
We are currently exploring installing openSUSE on a system with SSD
storage. I am curious what others have experienced with these disks.
Specifically,

1. What version of openSUSE has the best support? I guess the obvious
answer would be 12.1. But what version first had decent support? The SSD
suppliers suggest that Linux kernel 2.6.33 is a minimum requirement.

I use 11.4 and am satisfied with its support.

2. What SSD features are good to have and are supported in openSUSE?

Do not use mount option discard, it effects performance negatively.
(That's validated up to kernel 3.0, and might change in newer
kernels.) Don't use a distribution with a kernel < 2.34.

Use fstrim in a cron job. I don't know when it appeared in a SUSE
release, 11.4 has it.

If you can afford it, don't use 15% of the disk. To get this free
space, use secure erase to reset the disk's firmware notion of what
you're using, and then don't allocate 15% of the disk during
partitioning.

3. What outstanding issues are there that might make one think twice?

smartd support is said not to be solidly available for all SSD
disks. But the problem is that this kind of gossip is not
validated, and hard evidence is hard to come by. Enterprise SSDs
have proper support anyhow, Intel disks seem to be OK, too, and
I've got a Crucial C300 that seems to work as well.

HTH,
Joachim