[opensuse] Wireless Printing [Was: Printer/MFC recommendation]
On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 08:01 +0100, Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
On Tue, 2011-11-22 at 11:06 +1030, Rodney Baker wrote:
Hi all. I'm just wondering what others on the list are using in the way of
MFC
(Multi Function Centre) type printers?
I have a Brother MFC-665CW which I'm thinking of replacing. Brother do have
limited Linux support but I'm sure there's better around.
The prime considerations will be seamless Linux support, ease of operation
(since the wife will be using it too) and decent quality photo printing.
I'd
prefer a network-capable unit rather than USB (mainly so it doesn't
necessarily have to be co-located with the PC).

And you don't need to worry about the USB product & vendor keys being
matched. Networked printing is much simpler than locally attached.

I have an Epson printer/scanner that is also wireless. At least as of
11.2 openSUSE does not really support wireless printers very well.

I don't know that it is up to the OS to support "wireless printers".
Wireless is just a network topology, they are just networked printers.
openSUSE has *excellent* support for network printing.

On the other hand - *wireless* printers are *BAD* and *STUPID*. It is a
horrible idea - full stop. The issues I've seen with wireless printers
are endless [most typically they just silently drop off the network].
Getting them joined to a secure wireless network [EAP w/TKIP or AES] is
a nightmare. As a professional sys-admin I'd never agree to supporting a
wireless printer.

Run copper to your printer.