Re: [opensuse] Recommendations for a server?
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2011 12:58:47 +0100
Andreas wrote:

Hi,
I need some basic recommendations for a server.
It won't be cutting edge. As of now I run a postgresql and a wee bit
of internal web-serving for 30 people on an average PC. Mainly it
hosts the database.

I'm aiming a bit higher now like more than 4GB and a quadcore cpu or
something like that. WOW ;)

Is there anything to avoid with the new Suse?
Any issue with certain mainboards, chipsets or CPUs like i7 or the
newer AMDs?
The performance of the graphics chip is not really important. An
onboard solution would do. Which makes the least problems right now,
AMD or Nvidia?

Are there recommendable harddisks?
Currently I've got two 250GB pieces as softraid1 and thats plenty of
capacity. I'd like to get the fastest for an affordable price, though.

Get an HP Proliant, perhaps a DL380G5 which is a couple of years old.
Depending on config, it should be available on ebay for EUR200-300. A
G3 for less than EUR100, but here you'd get multiple physical CPUs, not
multi-core.

Is there an UPS that works smoothly with Suse so it can shutdown the
server when it needs to?

APC or HP.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (6.0°C)