Re: [opensuse] nVidia on 12.1 / Cannot start X
  • From: Anders Johansson <ajh@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 21:24:44 +0100
On Saturday 19 November 2011 16:28:46 C wrote:
The first thing that stands out to me is this: (from X-Fail-1.txt)

-------------
Error: API mismatch: the NVIDIA kernel module has version 173.14.30,
but this NVIDIA driver component has version 285.05.09.
-------------

So, in the upgrade, you ended up with a mix of nVidia drivers and it
fails (as in, new driver, old kernel module). You need to really
clean out everything - the old nVidia driver and the old kernel
modules - then reinstall the nVidia driver from the repos (they should
be available for 12.1 now).

I'd guess that once you clean up the package version mismatch, you
will see a nice GUI login again.

I just got this problem as well when I updated my laptop.

The problem is that if you do "zypper dup" with the nvidia 12.1 repository
active, you will get *both* the G01 and the G02 packages installed, even
though (as in my case) only G02 was installed before the update. And since
both G01 and G02 use the same filenames (e.g. nvidia.ko for the kernel module)
it's anyone's guess which package will overwrite which and gain control.

so uninstall the G01 version and the G02 version, and reinstall the G02, and
things should start working again

Anders