Re: [opensuse] What happened? - now I have an extra hard drive
On 11/08/2011 07:13 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 09/11/11 11:39, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 11/07/2011 11:46 PM, Basil Chupin wrote:
<snip>

So who/what are/is the goto people/bugzilla for problems with tumbleweed?

Hi David,

Have you read this?:

http://www.linux-magazine.com/Online/Blogs/Off-the-Beat-Bruce-Byfield-s-Blog/A-Disturbing-Dialog-About-Ubuntu-and-Unity

BC

Thanks Basil,

Priceless. The absolute very best part of the thread is this part:

<quote>

Comments
StarTrek foretold the past

way.....now@xxxxxxxxx Nov 09, 2011 12:37am GMT
Sorry, but I'd have to do the death scene from StarTrek, when Khan goes bat-guano -crazy spewing the epic death scene from Moby Dick. I really REALLY came to despise KDE. I was seeing REAL cpu hoggage going on from some of the stupid information gathering schemes running that I couldn't turn off nor remove. I really don't care for some daemon to waste 24 hours reading and indexing my files and documents. Then Unity appeared...

Joachim: Our shields are dropping.
Khan: Then raise them!
Joachim: [pounds fists on console] I can't!
Khan: The override. Where's the override?
Joachim: There isn't one, we're running KDE!
Khan: To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!

</quote>

We have seen the ebb and flow, back and forth, between community and developers in all distros over time. We have see the very worst corporatization has to offer and the best that spinoff and fragmentation can offer. Maintaining the middle-ground is what we should all shoot for.

Tumbleweed is the way of the future. Rotating release offers such enormous cost saving from a distro standpoint, all distros will end up with the model for development with frozen slices at appropriate times offered for commercial long term support (the $LTS version). This is a win for the community and a win for the distro. When opensuse only has 'opensuse' to support as a community project and not (opensuse 11.2, opensuse 11.3 and opensuse 11.4), the developer talent currently locked into 'maintaining' community versions can be freed to develop 'the' community version.

Arch Linux is a shining example of how this model works and how a distro with 1/1000th the resources as opensuse can be no more than 3-days behind upstream with a comparable package offering.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.