Re: [opensuse] wlan will not initialize
On 11/06/2011 07:28 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
On 11/05/2011 06:00 PM, George Olson wrote:
I have a lenovo 3000 V200 laptop using openSUSE 11.4. The wireless was
working
fine before, but I could not get Knetwork manager to work, which I
eventually
found was an unresolved bug.
<snip>
The driver is iwlagn.

When I tried ifup wlan0, I get this response:

wlan0 device: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 4965 AG or AGN [Kedron]
Network
Connection (rev 61)
wlan0 starting wpa_supplicant
Could not set interface wlan0 flags: Unknown error 132
Could not set interface 'wlan0' UP
Failed to initialize driver interface
RTNETLINK answers: Unknown error 132
Starting DHCP4 client on wlan0. .
wlan0 DHCP4 client NOT running
RTNETLINK answers: Unknown error 132
Cannot enable interface wlan0.
interface wlan0 is not up

<snip>

I am at a loss as to what to do next to try and get my network card
back up and
running.

George

George, I use the traditional method by default. In yast -> Network
Settings, I do the following:

Global Options: [x] Traditional Method with ifup

Overview: (select your wireless adapter and click 'Edit')

General: Activate device -> At Boot Time
Address: DHCP (both 4 & 6)
Hardware: Module Name (Make sure you select your 'iwlagn' or proper module)

Then it is just a matter of configuring your wireless access point
settings and authentication. All this does is generate your
/etc/sysconfig/network/ifcfg-wlan0 (or 1, etc..) file for you. In there,
you should have something similar to:

18:22 alchemy:/etc/sysconfig/network> sudo cat ifcfg-wlan0
BOOTPROTO='dhcp'
BROADCAST=''
ETHTOOL_OPTIONS=''
IPADDR=''
MTU=''
NAME='AR5001 Wireless Network Adapter'
NETMASK=''
NETWORK=''
REMOTE_IPADDR=''
STARTMODE='auto'
USERCONTROL='no'
WIRELESS_AP=''
WIRELESS_AP_SCANMODE='1'
WIRELESS_AUTH_MODE='psk'
WIRELESS_BITRATE='auto'
WIRELESS_CA_CERT=''
WIRELESS_CHANNEL=''
WIRELESS_CLIENT_CERT=''
WIRELESS_CLIENT_KEY=''
WIRELESS_CLIENT_KEY_PASSWORD=''
WIRELESS_DEFAULT_KEY='0'
WIRELESS_EAP_AUTH=''
WIRELESS_EAP_MODE=''
WIRELESS_ESSID='skyline'
WIRELESS_FREQUENCY=''
WIRELESS_KEY=''
WIRELESS_KEY_0=''
WIRELESS_KEY_1=''
WIRELESS_KEY_2=''
WIRELESS_KEY_3=''
WIRELESS_KEY_LENGTH='128'
WIRELESS_MODE='Managed'
WIRELESS_NICK=''
WIRELESS_NWID=''
WIRELESS_PEAP_VERSION=''
WIRELESS_POWER='yes'
WIRELESS_WPA_ANONID=''
WIRELESS_WPA_IDENTITY=''
WIRELESS_WPA_PASSWORD=''
WIRELESS_WPA_PSK='notmyrealpassword'

If you use wpa and your box uses wpa_supplicant, then you will also need
to check that the wpa_supplicant.conf file was generated and in
/etc/wpa_supplicant. It will be similar to the following at a bare minimum:

18:24 alchemy:/etc/wpa_supplicant> sudo cat wpa_supplicant.conf
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
ctrl_interface_group=wheel

network={
ssid="skyline"
key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
psk=660d3df48ac7d4e1838a5ce0f4fcca57ba8a0c98317bc31.......
}

Check those and then issue the sudo rcnetwork stop and sudo rcnetwork
start and check the log file to see what is happening and post if
unsuccessful.

Unbelievable. Without any explanation, it started working again. I shut it down and left it for an hour and then restarted it, and the network came up and works fine now.

I wonder if it could possibly be a problem with internal heat? My laptop seems to get a lot hotter than it used to.