Re: [opensuse] Post installation queries (FIRST successful installation of Linux)
Linux Tyro said the following on 11/05/2011 06:26 AM:
I have added 'export
PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/usr/sbin' line to the
top of the file /home/linuxworld/.bashrc and yes now it doesn't need
/sbin prefix! But I am sure it is only for this user since we have
edited only the file (.bashrc) of this 'linuxworld' user.

David may do this, but on the whole I disapprove.

One of the problems with (older versions of) Windows is that an ordinary
user can carry out admin tasks. This not only lets inexperienced user
suffer 'finger trouble', but allows malware to execute privileged
commands by simply getting an ordinary user to execute them, often
without the user knowing. (aka spawning off into the background)

This is a bad habit and sets bad precedence. You may not care. Most
users (of Windows systems) don't seem to care; perhaps that's why so
many Windows systems end up as zombies.

Having to run 'sudo' and be prompted for a password and having to give
the proper path may seem an inconvenience, but it is a discipline and
protocol for a reason should not be flouted without an understanding of
why this is not the the normal setting, why there is the separation of
root and user access.

Making Linux behave like Windows is not a good habit to develop.

--
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he
ever receive either