Re: [opensuse] Post installation queries (FIRST successful installation of Linux)
On 11/04/2011 12:26 PM, Linux Tyro wrote:
On Fri, Nov 4, 2011 at 12:00 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
<snip>
Ok it (gmail only) is doing that, but now I stop that, I really didn't
know this.... I would just remove the address now..

Whew, thanks. (Sven, Will, All disregard my last post re: kmail)

<snip>
The complete /etc/pam.d/su file should look like this:

10:34 alchemy:~> sudo cat /etc/pam.d/su
#%PAM-1.0
auth sufficient pam_rootok.so
auth sufficient pam_wheel.so trust use_uid
auth required pam_wheel.so use_uid
auth include common-auth
account sufficient pam_rootok.so
account include common-account
password include common-password
session include common-session
session optional pam_xauth.so

Here it is-

linuxworld@linux-g34l:~> sudo cat /etc/pam.d/su
#%PAM-1.0
auth sufficient pam_rootok.so
auth include common-auth
account sufficient pam_rootok.so
account include common-account
password include common-password
session include common-session
session optional pam_xauth.so
auth sufficient pam_wheel.so trust use_uid
auth required pam_wheel.so use_uid

Here I have two lines which show, 'pam_rootok.so' - 1) auth 2)
account, is there any change required (means should I...?)

No those are fine - both are present in mine above...

<snip>

Yeah sure, I did that all, but there was no extra user except the user
'linuxworld' (this was the changed name I gave to the original user
'trialbox'. But when I do 'ls /home' its the output -

linuxworld@linux-g34l:~> ls /home
linux~ linuxworld lost+found

So is it safe to manually delete 'linux~'... (probably I think
yes...?) since it is not a user created by me!

My guess is that is the user the live CD created when you first ran the live CD and installed openSuSE. What I would do is use yast to create a username you want on your box. "tyro" sounds like a good one for you :) I always like to create a group that is the same as the user to use as the user's primary group. (this tightens security preventing files created by everyone being owned by group 'user' by default)

Suppose you want to create your user 'tyro' with a primary group of 'tyro' as well, if you want to do it from the command line, just do:

sudo groupadd tyro
sudo useradd -c "Linux Tyro" -m -g tyro -G wheel,user tyro
sudo passwd tyro

** see 'useradd --help' for explanation of the options.

now just logout and log back in as tyro. Then you can use yast and delete the other user accounts from within yast. Then check home with

ls -l /home

Post if you are unsure what you can delete. Otherwise, if you only want to keep the user account for tyro, just delete all directories except 'tyro' and 'lost+found' from the /home directory. The quick way is:

cd /home
sudo rm -r $(ls /home | grep -v "tyro\|lost+found")

That will simply delete everything in home EXCEPT tyro and lost+found.

Good Luck!

But whether it is installer creating the 'Super User' or it is
traditional 'root', they both have all the powers - what I know, so
the only error it may is that in this installation, by default, the
'root' is taking the exactly same password which the user was taking
(during installation) and I changed the root's password by the command
('su', 'passwd'). So apart from it, is/are there more
difference(s)...?

Correct, but everyone in the Linux community can help you based on a traditional root account, if that account is something line 'linuxuser' it's just going to inject additional confusion into the mix...

<snip>
If there are users created that you no longer want, then delete the user in
Yast or with userdel. If you use 'userdel -r' then the directory under /home
will be deleted as well. If yast doesn't do that, then you can manually
delete the directory after you remove the user.

Ah well.

Good luck and good choice of openSuSE for your first linux install.

In fact and frankly telling you, I have liked the openSUSE but because
of different job, it seems a little bit typical (initially 'yes') but
this is very good. If the policy of openSUSE, which is:

"The openSUSE project explicitly looks beyond the technical community
to the broader non-technical community of computer users interested in
Linux."

and as it is practically implemented too, I am glad to use it.

<snip

It's a damn good distro. It's had its share of bumps over the years, but comparatively speaking, it is by far the best distro for all-around use you will find.

I am just using Firefox and in it 'gmail' but would see it.. If would
set up the client, would go for Thunderbird..

Not last but a doubt is that when I type:

linuxworld@linux-g34l:~> sudo yast
sudo: yast: command not found

it doesn't work, but when I do type the following:

linuxworld@linux-g34l:~> sudo /sbin/yast

it works, just wanted to know the basic difference, and the same when
I used ' sudo reboot' (didn't work) but 'sudo /sbin/reboot' (worked).

Oops, sorry, I include /sbin in my path so I don't have to type the /sbin part for programs in that directory. To do the same, just edit your /home/yourUser/.bashrc and add it to your path like this:

export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/sbin:/usr/sbin

Just put it anywhere toward the top of the file. Also, I like increasing the size of my .bash-history file so if I ever forget a command, I can likely find it in the last 15,000 I've typed :). Just include the following below the path statement in .bashrc

export HISTFILESIZE=15000
export HISTSIZE=15000

There are literally hundreds of things you can do with .bashrc that can make your life much easier in Linux. Explore as you have time. One thing you can do is customize your command line prompt to your liking. Try the following in .bashrc as your user prompt:

export PS1="\[\e[0;37m\]\A\[\e[1;34m\] \[\e[1;34m\]\h:\w> \[\e[0m\]"

and for root in root's .bashrc:

export PS1="\[\e[1;34m\][\[\e[1;31m\]\A \[\e[1;34m\]\h\[\e[0;31m\]:\w\[\e[1;34m\]] # \[\e[0m\]"

You will need to source .bashrc again to see the change or just enter the line without 'export ' at the command prompt. e.g.:

PS1="\[\e[0;37m\]\A\[\e[1;34m\] \[\e[1;34m\]\h:\w> \[\e[0m\]"

That will give you a prompt with the following format:

23:31 yourHostName:/home/admin/cnf>

The real benefit becomes apparent when you need to transfer files via ssh, etc.. All you need do is copy the path from your prompt and then middle-mouse click to paste it into the command line. eg.:

23:31 yourHostName:/home/admin/cnf>

Good luck!

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.