Re: [opensuse] startproc in rc scripts
  • From: Roger Oberholtzer <roger@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2011 15:51:28 +0100
On Fri, 2011-11-04 at 00:22 +1030, Rodney Baker wrote:

I'd suggest you many need multiple entries in /etc/rc.d/init.d (e.g. 51-
like:

I perhaps could have lived with that. But it 'seems' it is not the rc
script name that is behind this. It is the binary that you run. In my
case I am running /sbin/vblade. The second call to startproc senses
that /sbin/vblade is already running and does nothing. If I make a copy
of the binary called /sbin/vblade2, then I can start another.

-start first instance
-check for running instance
-get pid of running instance
-start second instance with -i <pid of running instance>
- repeat for subsequence instances

I think there can only be a second instance, since you can only give one
pid with -i. A third instance would require that you tell two pids to
ignore. Seems like the -i option to startproc is really a hack. Unless
it is only the documentation that makes it appear to be so.

YMMV. I've never tried it - just guessing from the rather cryptic
documentation snippets you've posted.

I will post back when I see what works.

Yours sincerely,

Roger Oberholtzer