Re: [opensuse] Basic learning tutorials query
LLLActive@xxxxxxx said the following on 11/02/2011 10:43 AM:
I have done some
basic tutorials with screen shots about Thunderbird and and such apps,

Good! Congratulations.
Then you know that documentation is harder than programming, MUCH
harder, and often less gratifying, since so many programmers look down
upon you. They see themselves as the 'creators' and you as not even as
import enough to be considered plagiarists.

But if you look to the professional companies, the Big Names, they
devote a lot of effort to documentation.

Documentation is what makes a professional product.

This kind of end-user documentation, with accurate screen shots for the
same version that the end user is using -- and THAT is VERY important -
is hard work, tedious work. It is too often undervalued, not least of
all because it is so easily outdated.

Which gets back to my point about "Learned Disability".

The step from MS-Word of OpenOfficeWriter isn't that great. Heck, its a
GUI for $DEITY's sake! Its just another modeless text editor for 90% of
what you do with it. The details of the menu items might be in a
different place but the difference are less than those between Word97
and Word2003. Oh, wait! Look at all the companies making a living
running courses for things like that.

Are people really that dumb? Was John Gatto right about our education
system?

--
The trouble with troubleshooting is that trouble shoots back.