Re: [opensuse] small installation help
Linux Tyro said the following on 10/30/2011 10:05 AM:

by default openSUSE does this:

one SWAP partition
one root partition "/"
one home partition "/home/"

The two partitions '/' and '/home' are separate?

Of course.
They have different dynamics.

In fact you probably want "/usr" (and "/usr/share") on separate
partitions and "/tmp" on a separate partition for security reasons.
(q.v. - go google)

In an ideal world (a Kiosk perhaps) /usr and /usr/share and /etc (and
/bin and /sbin and /usr/bin and /usr/sbin and /lib and /usr/lib) would
all be "read only".

OUCH! A few things in /etc are dynamic. Lets symlink them :-)
Oh, and lets make /usr/tmp symlinked to /tmp while about it :-)

I did say "ideal world".

The point I'm trying to make is that there are different dynamics.
You shouldn't have ordinary users altering things except under /home.
There's a reason its called that.

Similarly with "/tmp" and "/var"

Think about it ....

So when PC is off, SWAP is empty?

Sounds like Zen to me ...

If your Ubuntu install also had separate root ("/") and home ("/home/")
partitions, you might want to keep the "/home" one, as this will contain
your documents, saved settings etc. Or perhaps you want to wipe out
everything and start from scratch: in this case, you would format (i.e.,
wipe) both the root and the home partition. (Also, note that the home
partition is optional: if you don't make this, then "home" will simply be a
subdirectory of root.)

I have already taken back-up of all the documents in the Current
Ubuntu LTS. I just want complete replacement of it with openSUSE 11.4,
but it should take only this Ubuntu space and Windows XP should remain
intact (my sis uses that). I don't know if Ubuntu currently is having
separate root ("/") and home ("/home"), but please tell me the command
to check this and I would post (I just installed Ubuntu and it
automatically took all the options keeping aside Windows XP safe).

Also should I make separate root ("/") and home ("/home/") or not,
would it be beneficial in any way(s)?

Manageability.
You should never need to expand the space used by a root partition
(unless you are installing more stuff). If you have a separate /usr
(and /usr/share and /tmp and /var) you can lock down your root partition
and make it fairly small.

In the days before LVM I ended up doing an install many times over to
figure out this size.

I really love LVM!

On Sun, Oct 30, 2011 at 7:02 PM, Anton Aylward