Re: [opensuse] Can I ask something...?
Carlos E. R. said the following on 10/30/2011 09:20 AM:

On Sunday, 2011-10-30 at 18:17 +0530, Linux Tyro wrote:

Came to know that: My ram is 2 GB, now should I really go for 64 bit
or not?

IMO, no.

+1

I'm seeing 64-bit machines being shipped with 4G as baseline and most
people buying them going for an upgrade to 6G or 8G.

Considering the cost on the street of 4G DDR3 (nominally $25) I would
think restricting yourself to less -- unless you have an old motherboard
or a laptop that won't permit expansion) is a false economy.

But then "it all depends".
I run a file server in 0.5G, but its headless. Yes, running X takes a
lot. I also run a desktop with a modern, powerful GPU, and another
desktop with an older one. The older one demand more of the CPU and of
course system memory. Considering the cost of GPUs ...

And then 64-bit means 64-bit pointers, 64-bit integers only count up to
a small number.

Is there a 16-bit *NIX? Oh, right, the PDP-11! We supported 40 users
on 4M or memory and a 10G drive with an 11/45 .... but not running X.

--
Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like pears.