Re: [opensuse] [SOLVED] Re: k9copy
On 29/10/11 23:42, Basil Chupin wrote:
On 28/10/11 12:23, Malcolm wrote:
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 12:05:18 +1100
Basil Chupin<blchupin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I have been using k9copy for some time. Recently I tried to use it[1]
but there was no audio on the backup of a new DVD I bought. I wrote
the author (twice) but received no response. Today I learnt that the
development of k9copy has been terminated (a notice on sourceforge)
and there is also this entry in wikipedia: "Development of K9Copy was
stopped in 2011 with the author citing the fragmentation of Linux as
a major issue.".

Does anyone know, please, of a replacement application for k9copy (to
be used with, say, openSUSE)?

[1] oS 32-bit 11.4 with KDE 4.7.x and kernel 3.1.x.

BC^<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K9copy#cite_note-3>

Hi
I use handbrake here....

Thank you Malcolm, Jay and Jim for your assistance. At first look I think that handbrake is the way to go but I am told that it also needs dvdauthor to actually create a DVD which can be burnt and then played by a video player. For me both of these require learning new tricks :-) .

It is a real pity that the author after all these years "sucked us in" with his great app. and then spat the dummy re k9copy :-( .

BC

Early this morning I received a response from the author, Jean-Michel, who said that he did 2 tests and found that the audio was working. He suggested to check the default settings and to ensure that the audio stream was selected when doing a backup. I did this.

For the first time since I started using k9copy I found that I had to actually select the Audio [eg, English] for the Language and Sub-Titles (bottom right: DVD playback options/Selection/Preview). Now that I do this for each DVD everything is functioning as before :-) .

Wot a relief!

BC

--
The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it,
but in the end, there it is.