Re: [opensuse] Question for the hard-disk management experts
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2011 03:00:09 +0200 (CEST)

On Saturday, 2011-10-29 at 10:09 +1030, Rodney Baker wrote:

Anyway, I've dumped the Windows partition (now 43GB) and the recovery
partition (10GB, near enough) with dd if=/dev/sda<1,2> of=<image_name> to a
terabyte USB drive, but my question is this. Should I backup the partition
table from the original drive as well, to ease the process of restoring it
back to its current state before I completely blow away these 2 partitions of
the HDD in the laptop? What is the correct way to do this, apart from pen and
paper?

I would backup the entire HD using dd. Ie, using if=/dev/sdX. It copies all, not each partition separately. For this situation it is better, IMO.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)