Re: [opensuse] Can I ask something...?
On 10/28/2011 9:42 AM, Linux Tyro wrote:
Well, I just wanted to ask if the new release period could be
increased (just a suggestion) from 8 months to something like a year,

If you lobbied for a longer support cycle, I'd be right there in your corner.

Release intervals are not so important, they can be more frequent. My only
complaint
about them is the suck up maintainer resources that could (IMHO) be more
valuable
if applied to longer release maintenance period.

But everybody wants a new toy. Not so much for servers.

I have a 10.2 server that needs to be upgraded, because even security patches
are no longer available for it, and haven't been for some time. It was
installed in late 2006. With critical updates for two years from the release
date.
So before 2009 arrived, my server has already been out of maintenance, and there
are known security issues with this old release. (I know, I failed a
penetration
test thru no fault of configuration).

When I upgrade, I have to look seriously at Ubuntu Server with Long Term
Support, or a rolling release.