Re: [opensuse] Postfix/dovecot - allow relay from phone - How??
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2011 23:38:38 +0200
David C. Rankin wrote:

Per, Wolfgang, All..

I'm just getting back to this issue. I am trying to get the idea of
having
the iphone submit on port 587 sorted out if that is what I need to do
to be able to relay across my server when not connected to the LAN.
Are you talking about enabling a second port with:

smtp inet n - n - - smtpd
587 inet n - n - - smtpd

in master.cf as referenced in:

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-4788.html

I have seen two different references. One giving the suggestion
above, and the other simply uncommenting the 'submission' line in
master.cf to enable submission on port 587.

Whether you write 'submission' or '587', it's the same thing.

What I don't want to do is mess up my port 25 normal operations.

Right, and adding a daemon to accept mail on port 587 won't affect that.

That's the part I don't have sorted yet. The "what do I need to do to
enable relay from the phone (on whatever port) and not mess up the
normal server operations for the rest of the mail?"

Add an smtpd listening on port 587 (or any other port you fancy), and
add the various requirements you need (TLS, authentication, whatever).

Why the second port anyway?

Generally because port 587 is used for that purpose, but more because
you want different criteria for this kind of traffic.

Can't I just configure postfix to authenticate me from my phone and
just send using port 25?

No. If you say "authentication required" on the smtpd that services port
25, it'll apply to all traffic, not just to your phone. If you open
your mailserver to everyone, well ...

There may very well be valid reason that configuring on port 587 is
better and the way to go, but that's what I'm trying to figure out...

The key thing is that you want different criteria for the two different
kinds of traffic (mails from your phone, mails from other mailservers).

I've tried adding the permit_sasl_authenticated before the rbl
check, but I'm still blocked from sending from the phone.

And your phone did authenticate? Check that you have line like this:

postfix2/smtpd[8832]: 4DFA0556E0: client=yourclient, sasl_method=LOGIN,
sasl_username=<youruserid>

[snip]
smtpd_client_restrictions = permit_sasl_authenticated,
reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org, reject_unknown_client
[snip]
smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth
smtpd_sasl_security_options = noanonymous, noplaintext
smtpd_sasl_tls_security_options = noanonymous
smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot
smtpd_tls_auth_only = yes
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

All the normal mail server operation work fine, so the question of
the day is what do I need to do to be able to send email from my phone
across my server?

Which error messages are you currently seeing?

Any links that you have used would be appreciated.

http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html :-)

A quick go-by of changes to main.cf and master.cf would be great.
I'd love to see a working configuration :)

Sure, I'll send you a copy off-line.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (9.1°C)