Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse] installing optimized packages like Gentoo
At Thu, 13 Oct 2011 13:59:55 -0300,
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

On 13/10/11 02:52, Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:40:00 -0300,
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

On 02/10/11 14:37, Carlos Alberto Gueto Tettay wrote:
Hi everybody,

Gentoo linux is an special distro that can be automatically optimized and
it offers an extreme performance according to machine specifications.

There is no such magical thing, although some very specific programs
like multimedia libraries may run faster with -O3 (and the newer -Ofast)
other programs do in fact run slower or produce huge bloated binaries,
other optimizations are unsafe and produce broken code.

The architecture option might be a great performance improvement in
some cases, especially when SIMD is effective.

If it's a library, the architecture-optimized version can be placed
additionally in the sub-directory of HWCAP, such as /usr/lib/sse3/.
Then ld.so will pick up automatically per running hwcap.

Yeah that's one option, the other is using ifunc and/or gcc attribute
target...

That HWCAP thing may be interesting for some selected libraries, do you
know where is the FM ? have found no manpage and no authoritative
information out there.. :(

Sorry, I also have no good info source. I've read it a couple of
years ago in some book.
But this implies that the method is hackish ;)

Takashi