Re: [opensuse-packaging] Re: [opensuse] installing optimized packages like Gentoo
At Wed, 12 Oct 2011 21:40:00 -0300,
Cristian Rodríguez wrote:

On 02/10/11 14:37, Carlos Alberto Gueto Tettay wrote:
Hi everybody,

Gentoo linux is an special distro that can be automatically optimized and
it offers an extreme performance according to machine specifications.

There is no such magical thing, although some very specific programs
like multimedia libraries may run faster with -O3 (and the newer -Ofast)
other programs do in fact run slower or produce huge bloated binaries,
other optimizations are unsafe and produce broken code.

The architecture option might be a great performance improvement in
some cases, especially when SIMD is effective.

If it's a library, the architecture-optimized version can be placed
additionally in the sub-directory of HWCAP, such as /usr/lib/sse3/.
Then ld.so will pick up automatically per running hwcap.

So, in theory, we can provide the multiple binaries per
arch-optimization base in a single package. But I don't know whether
this would be so big gain. There are cases that the arch-optimization
really slows down, too.

Takashi