[opensuse] Re: help forum no help getting printer to print
  • From: Jim Henderson <hendersj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2011 04:06:53 +0000 (UTC)
On Thu, 06 Oct 2011 21:20:40 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

On 2011/10/06 17:34 (GMT) Jim Henderson composed:

On Wed, 05 Oct 2011 23:09:39 -0400, Felix Miata wrote:

After seeing "unable to open listen socket for address ::1:631 -
Address family not supported by protocol" in /var/log/cups/error_log,
Google told me goto
http://forums.opensuse.org/english/get-technical-help-here/install-
boot-login/408396-cups-deamon-not-accessable.html
and http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:GDI_Printers to figure out why I can't
print with my Canon GDI, but instead of help I just see the
incompetent results of incompetent site styles:
http://fm.no-ip.com/SS/opensuseforumsmess01.jpg

That screenshot is now available at
https://bugzilla.novell.com/attachment.cgi?id=454976

Thanks, I assume that's attached to the bug as well?

I don't have access to that bug, but just to be clear, I'm talking
about the display issue you saw in the forums, not the printing issue.
Since

That's why I opened this thread in the opensuse-web mailing list as
well, but no one has replied there as yet.

If it's a broader issue across the various openSUSE websites, then that's
certainly appropriate. I (nor as far as I know, any of the forums staff)
subscribe to that list, so if it's forums specific, that issue doesn't
get raised with us unless someone tells us about it.

I'm staff on the forums, I can try to get that addressed if I can
reproduce the issue.

Those two bugs are web site bugs. If you have power to alter the site,
then whoever has the power to give you access to those two bugs needs to
do so. They contain the foundation of my complaint.

My role is as a non-technical administrator for the site, but the three
of us in that role have responsibility to ensure stuff like this is at
least on the "to do" list for Kim, the technical admin.

are necessary to have a chance to reproduce. Reproduction should not be
necessary to correction, as no user defenses would be necessary at all
if both those two bugs and the broader problem they describe were fixed
and remained so across site facelifts.

I've only been troubleshooting technical systems for about 20 years, but
it's been my experience that problems are far, FAR easier to resolve if
they can be reproduced by the people working on them.

As you seem to be the only user that I'm aware of who has to deploy "user
defenses" in order to use the site, it seems like the problem is probably
in your configuration, so to reproduce it (and hence attempt to resolve
it with some knowledge of how you managed to get to see something that
apparently nobody else sees), it would be useful if we could get some
information about that configuration so it can be reproduced.

We can argue the merits of reproducing a problem or not on how necessary
it is to technically resolve an issue, but I can tell you that passing
the information along to the responsible IS&T organization, *they will
want steps to reproduce the problem*, and without that, they'll do
something where they've been given what they're asking for. Which means
I'm going to ask for that information to pass along to them before trying
to escalate the problem.

Fair enough?

Jim

--