Re: [opensuse] help forum no help getting printer to print
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Oct 2011 15:46:04 +0200
Felix Miata wrote:

On 2011/10/06 13:08 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

On 2011/10/06 08:01 (GMT+0200) Per Jessen composed:

Felix Miata wrote:

After seeing "unable to open listen socket for address ::1:631 -
Address family not supported by protocol" in
/var/log/cups/error_log,

Suggestion: amend your /etc/hosts file and comment out the line
that has '::1' listed for localhost.

When I saw that ::1:631 error I stripped all IPV6 lines from
/etc/hosts. Didn't help.

But you are running with IPv6 disabled, right? That is what the
error message from cups seems to indicate.

Quote from OP: "IPV6 is disabled in YaST, and cmdline includes
ipv6.disable=1. /etc/hosts
includes 127.0.0.1 localhost localhost."

When you're asking for help, it's recommendable not to be cheeky.

Quote from OP: "trying off & on in 11.4 & 12.1 since last winter to
make my IP printer work...I opened the printer's IP in
Konqueror...multiple puters, fail to even wake up the printer".

I would have thought that info, plus the logs at
http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Cups/gx280/121/ (also included in OP), to be
the info you're asking for.

Perhaps, I was just thinking you could have helped me identify the
pertinent bits, not just sling the whole lot at me :-)

AFAIK, non-IP printers cannot be reached via their (non-existent) IPs,

Sounds reasonable.

while "fail to even wake up the printer"
constitutes nothing happening". "job.cacheBADgv" is job.cache from
failed attempt to print with Gwenview. "error_logOKokular" is
error_log after successful print from Okular. "c00005BADfirefox" is
c00005 print job from failed attempt to print from Firefox.
"access_logBADkonq" is access_log from failed attempt to print from
Konqueror". Etc.

So, judging by a few of those logs, the print job is correct submitted.
What does cups then do with it? Have you checked the job-status in
cups? http://printserver:631

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (21.2°C)