Re: [opensuse] different types of shell scripts
Le 22/09/2011 10:11, George OLson a écrit :

So my question is, what is the difference between running a script
file with the command

"help ."

.: . filename [arguments]
Execute commands from a file in the current shell.

Read and execute commands from FILENAME in the current shell. The
entries in $PATH are used to find the directory containing FILENAME.
If any ARGUMENTS are supplied, they become the positional parameters
when FILENAME is executed.

Exit Status:
Returns the status of the last command executed in FILENAME; fails if
FILENAME cannot be read.

so . filename runs the script listed in the file filename

usually, "." is the current folder, so ./script runs the script in the current folder, just in case you have a widely executable of the same name

for example, test is a shel command, so:

dd@linux-0i5h:~> test
jdd@linux-0i5h:~> ./test
bash: ./test: Aucun fichier ou dossier de ce type

with ./test I could run my own script named test (just a example, it's not a good idea to have several commands with different result)

jdd

--
http://www.dodin.net
http://pizzanetti.fr