Re: [opensuse] what to put on a _small_ netbook
On Tue, 2011-09-20 at 19:48 -0400, Brian K. White wrote:
On 9/20/2011 5:18 PM, Hans Witvliet wrote:
Hi,

I have to re-install my wife's acer-aspire-one,
a small netbook with just 512MB (you have to be a brain surgeon to
upgrade the mem).

And worse, just a 10" display.

Any recommendations?
smeegol? 11.4? 12.1?

I presume i have to stay away from standard KDE or GNOME...

hw

I run lubuntu latest on a Sony Vaio P.
Atom 1.3 ghz, 2G ram.

It's pretty good finally. Finally as of only the last few months there
is a more or less working and maintained (open source, so it's possible
TO maintain) video driver for the thrice damned gma500/poulsbo chip that
doesn't break every time you update the kernel or xorg.

Other than the constant fight to get a working video driver, it's been
pretty good.

Well, now it runs 11.2 out-of-the-box.
beyond expetations, even video-calls withvoip works with linphone.
But now she needed for a web-sigth moonlight, and the one in 11.2 is'nt
working, so i was thinking about 11.4 or 12.1m5 or so

LXDE desktop, wicd instead of NetworkManager, still has some gnome stuff
for things lxde has no native answer for like bluetooth manager and
power manager.
That's something i'll try.

I actually haven't tried to set up a printer on it yet
(in over 2 years) so I don't know off hand how smooth that is or if it
is a pain in the neck. wicd works well and is perfectly easy. Other than
that, it's as slow as I expect such hardware to be, and fast enough to
be usable as long as I stick to small files in Gimp and *Office (hahaha
just noticed, hey it's back to it's roots, once again called "star
office!") Which I happen to rarely use either of those.
Browsing with chrome is ok, youtube videos work ok but are almost
unwatchable full-screen on the new open source "emgd" driver. If you
need the video to work perfectly, you have to use one of a very small
subset of old versions of distributions that PowerVR made a binary
driver for, and then you have to worry about it breaking every time you
even think about running apt-get or synaptic. Or if yours doesn't have a
gma500 graphics then boy are you lucky, or a smart shopper, and this
part doesn't matter.

I would absolutely put a 2G ram chip in there though. It's really not
that hard on an aspire one.
Looked at a you-tube description, and came to a different conclusion...

Local computer shop may even do it for nothing.
I asked, and they would charge me more than a new machine...

I know lubuntu (and windows 7) are fine on both the Vaio P with
2G and my eeepc 1000H with 1G, but 512M? probably fine until you get a
3rd tab open in chrome, or one tab in firefox.
Besides, even if it IS hard, it's only hard once, whereas she has to
live with the machine being slow 60 times a minute, 60 minutes an hour,
every hour, every day...

Also WIndows7 is actually fine on the cpu, especially if you disable
aero and set all the visual settings for performance (start -> computer
-> right-click properties -> adjust visual effects), but I don't know
about on 512M ram.

If I was really stuck on 512MB ram I'd find a high speed SD card and put
swap and/or the windows pagefile exclusively on that and leave it in the
slot permanently.

Id did that on an other machine, and got block-errors after one year.
swap on an sdd is not a good combination...

I'll backup everything she still might need, and have another look at
the ram & lxde.

Tnx