Re: [opensuse] Virtual box running out of disk space
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 14:16:32 -0400, David C. Rankin <drankinatty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 09/16/2011 06:38 AM, Fr David Ousley wrote:
In the Virtual Box Settings > Storage, it shows the correct file, with the
correct size 20 gigs. In Windows, Computer > Hard disk properties shows the old
size, 10 gigs.

I also noted that VBoxManage has an expand utility, which I had tried earlier,
before posting. I tried that on the old file and successfully expanded it to 15
gigs. But in widows it still shows 10. So it seems to be a windows issue, and
I don't see an obvious way around it. It seems like it must be something
obvious, which I didn't see.

It went very smooth on this end...

It was very smooth here too, until the last step .../

Thanks for your efforts!

Hmmm...

Obviously something isn't right. Let's start with a .vdi file review on your system. Under ~/.VirtualBox, the .vdi location has changed not too long ago. Originally, I had my .vdi files under ~/.VirtualBox/VDI:

Mine are set up in the second way: the .vdi files under each machine's directory. The Virtual Box set up does not complain, however, about using a hard disk from another directory.

Is there anyway possible you are still actually booting your old .vdi due to the changed path to the new .vdi file??

I think we can eliminate this possibility. (a) the Virtual Box manager storage for the machine (shown before booting) lists the correct .vdi (in my case xp2.vdi rather than windowsxp.vdi).
(b) I moved windowsxp.vdi completely out of the Virtual Box tree (too paranoid to delete it entirely).
(c) windowsxp.vdi has been expanded to 15 gigs using VBoxManage modifyhd --expand, so there should still be room if that were the one being used.

And Windows when booted shows a 10 gig hd, completely full.

The detailed instructions to which you referred me mentioned using Disk Management in Windows 7 to recognize the added space, though it says nothing about XP, and I can find no equivalent. This led me to suspect windows rather than Virtual Box, as the latter seems to be correctly configured.

The only thing left to try that I can think of is creating a new, fixed size disk. But we do seem close on this one, should you have another idea.

Thanks.

dao

--
Fr David Ousley