Re: [opensuse] Re: (Dovecot is faster and supports multiple formats -- unlike Cyrus
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin.listas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 00:53:04 +0200 (CEST)

On Thursday, 2011-09-08 at 14:53 -0400, Adam Tauno Williams wrote:

Incorrect; if there is an index it is *not* mbox. It is some extension
to mbox; mbox does not specify, describe, or require an index.

Almost all implementations of mbox use a separate index. The format is not that strict, it has its limitations as originally invented, so each one adds to it.

Some keep the index in memory, so you do not see it.

Nevertheless, all implementations I tried can share mbox files with one another, because they share the basic definition.

With dovecot in particular, you can directly (ie, outside dovecot, while it is running) alter an mbox file, add or delete a message, and the server will notice it and reindex automatically. It works, I have done it.

- -- Cheers,
Carlos E. R.
(from 11.4 x86_64 "Celadon" at Telcontar)