Re: [opensuse] Virtual box running out of disk space
On 09/07/2011 08:59 PM, Fr David Ousley pecked at the keyboard and wrote:
Friends --

I'm running Windows XP in a virtual machine on Virtual Box, set up with
"dynamically expanding hard disk", which is now out of disk space. It
does not expand itself, so that it has run out of disk space. Running
"VBoxManage modifyhd --resize 20 windowsxp.vdi" returns the error
"VBOX_E_NOT_SUPPORTED VBoxManage: error: Resize hard disk operation for
this format is not implemented yet!"

I thought that "dynamically expanding" would, well, dynamically expand.
Am I missing something here? I had run VB for several years on another
machine without ever encountering the problem.

Host is 11.3; VB 4.0.12_72916_openSUSE113-1-x86_64 from Oracle.

Thanks for any help.

It is dynamically expanding, up to the size you made it originally. The expansion is on the "physical" harddisk "file". When you created the harddisk it's size was near zero, as you added items, I.E. operating system, the physical file "expanded" to provide the additional needed space.

Bottom line, you need to create a harddisk size you think will cover everything you want installed in the "Virtual Machine".

--
Ken Schneider
SuSe since Version 5.2, June 1998