Re: [opensuse] HP Touchpad and SuSE
On 9/5/2011 10:00 AM, Damon Register wrote:
On 9/3/2011 11:56 PM, John Andersen wrote:
The reason people are snapping them up at this cheap price is because the
Android community
has already go Android running on it (with limitations). This will only get
better over
forgive me if I am a little slow. I had to read this several times but since
I am not up to date on the tablet world, I am not sure I understand. Are you
saying that there is some flavor of Android OS operating on the HP already?

Not an official flavor by any means. There are several developers working on
this
but the lead ones are using the CyanogenMod.

A couple stories:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/238617/touchdroid_will_turn_touchpads_into_android_tablets.html
One of the projects:
http://www.fzservers.com/touchdroid/index.php?title=Main_Page

Of course there is no rush here, because its a perfectly good tablet as it is.

time because HP has hinted that they have no objection to this effort and
will supply
documentation on the driver interfaces to the hardware (much of which
already is used
in other similar units).

So the migration path of least resistance is to Android, (which is linux).
so, if HP ever does make more for $99, and I can get one, I might want to try
the Android OS rather than looking at SuSE (assuming the WebOS didn't do
what I needed)?

Damon Register

The (HP) did announce one more production run, rather than scrap all the
inventory. They can't possibly make any profit at all at $99, (Best guess is
that
they are losing a hundred bucks on each sale).

Quite frankly, porting Suse to one of these devices seems like a thankless
task due to the problems with drivers etc.